“It’s a very tough world out there for vegans.” – is something that I heard long back and believed in, which made me immediately shrug the thought of going vegan from my head. And unfortunately, another soul who would’ve chosen to walk on the path of kindness continued to depend upon dairy products. But thankfully, after years, I, at last, got to know that there do exist a plethora of vegan alternatives for those determined to tread on the kind path.
You know, something that bothered me when I was thinking of going vegan is the thought of not getting to eat any sweets as the local sweetshops generally sell sweets that are made up of milk, ghee, paneer (chena) or khoya! Geez! A world without sweets! Can you even imagine such a state? But I was determined to go vegan as I couldn’t be a reason for the suffering of animals, and so I continued my search for alternatives. I did extensive research and contacted a lot of vegan people to ask for their suggestions and to know the kind of alternatives they use to get vegan versions of the food items they liked to eat before going vegan. After talking to numerous vegans, I was able to figure out that there are a lot of Indian sweets out there that are already vegan, and one doesn’t even have to look for alternative options for them. Believe me! I’m not kidding! You want proof? Well, then jump straight to the next section of this article to know about Indian vegan sweets.
Indian Vegan Sweets
As I already discussed that there are several Indian sweets that are already vegan, without further ado, let’s jump straight to their list.
- Jalebi: The number one sweet in our list of Indian vegan sweets is jalebi, which is a sweet made up of deep-fried maida (all-purpose flour) batter, and is soaked in sugar syrup.
It is often served as a dessert or snack on festivals or other occasions.
- Petha: Next is petha, which is a sweet made from ash gourd, also known as winter melon. It is a popular dessert in North India and is usually flavored with saffron and cardamom.
- Soan Papdi: Yes, I’m talking about the same Soan Papdi which is shamelessly abandoned after the festive season. Soan Papdi is a thin, flaky and crispy sweet made up of a mixture of gram flour, sugar and refined oil.
- Besan Laddoo: Another amazing and much loved Indian vegan sweet is besan ladoo. It is a sweet made from roasted gram flour and sugar syrup.
- Boondi Laddoo: Next mouth-watering and everyone’s favourite Indian sweet that is entirely vegan is boondi laddoo. I swear, I’m not lying. Vegans can freely have it. For those, who don’t know about boondi laddoo, it is a sweet made from small, round balls of gram flour that are deep-fried and then soaked in sugar syrup.
- Shakkarpara: Shakkarpara or shankarpali is a popular sweet and crunchy snack. It is made up of wheat flour, sugar and oil.
- Peanut Chikki: Yes, our favourite peanut chikki is 100% vegan. Peanut chikki is a sweet made from jaggery (unrefined cane sugar) and nuts such as peanuts, almonds, etc. It is highly famous as a sweet snack widely enjoyed during the winter.
- Coconut Laddoo: Coconut laddoo or nariyal laddoo is an Indian vegan sweet mainly famous in South India. It is a sweet made from desiccated coconut and sugar syrup.
I know, I know you’re awestruck after going through this awesome list of vegan Indian sweets for I know how soothing it feels to find something vegan to complement your tastebuds and vegan morals. I certainly hope you’re eager and over-excited to know more. To get more info about vegan alternatives or veganism, or to find amazing like-minded vegan people to address your concerns or simply help you tread on the vegan path, do head to the lovely vegan community Veganlee, which is simply like a heaven for vegans. I’m not exaggerating. Trust me. Join it and experience the warmth it offers on your own.
See ya! 😊
#vegan #plantbased #veganfood #vegetarian #healthyfood #food #crueltyfree #healthy #organic #glutenfree #veganlife #foodie #healthylifestyle #foodporn #govegan #veganrecipes #vegansofig #love #veganism #instafood #natural #whatveganseat #veganfoodshare #vegano #health #fitness #yummy #skincare #foodphotography #dairyfree